Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Let's get real...

So as all of you who have been keeping up with my blog have noticed, it has fallen into a sad state of very little being written. The reasons for me not writing basically all fall on one thing. A lack of inspiration to write. These is largely becuase my experience here has become slowly more difficult and to express myself over the internet without being cynical has become hard. I've gone through some drastic changes and events this last month. I've done so much in Ecuador my expirience can only be described as amazing. But along with these amazing experiences have been some moments where the last thing I want to do is write.
I'm going to start over again, I'll keep everyone posted and we'll see if I can keep up my part of the bargain. I only ask that if you read this to please comment in some way. I would really appreciate hearing about what your reactions are.
I'm going to be leaving for the Galapagos in 3 days, as you can imagine I'm excited beyond belief. The Galapagos has always been one of those childhood dreams, to go to the land where the animals look at you like you are nothing more than a bothersome nuisance. To be totally honest, I feel like the shock of going there hasn't actually completely hit me. At least I know that I'll be in for an amazing adventure.
I got back last friday from a 12 day trip to a rural population in the north coast of Ecuador. I built a school, no seriously, my whole class of 20 kids just completed a school. Really, a building, it doesn't have lights, desks teaching materials or anything. But it is a building that we built. This expirience was beyond amazing for me. I worked like it was my job. My friend even told me that the only difference between me and the professionals that we hired to do the hardest stuff was that I wasn't getting paid. I didn't need to, working in the hot Ecuadorian sun building a school for a poor population that needs one was such a gift. I felt so happy to be there. I had such an awesome time, I felt free and careless, my thoughts always drifting from the next meal and working hard enough to finish the school in time. This was one of the most beautiful moments on my exchange.
More to come... I'll be sure to post soon!

3 comments:

Lioness said...

Oh that's so great! My favorite moments in Thailand have been in villages teaching english to little kids. It makes me feel all warm and "fuzzy" inside.

Ben Small said...

Cool man, I feel you, sometimes the blogging is just not what you want to do, same here, I am kinda behind too, but oh well, I am really glad that you are calling your experience ´´Amazing´´ that is really positive. And the galapagos! That is gonna be rad, so you! I can imagine you like Darwin, running around and catching as many critters you can fit in your pockets (if you remember that trip we took in elementary school where you were forbidden to bring home any form of wildlife but somehow that lizard made it into your pocket.) Ha, well much peace and love man,

Rob and Sara said...

Now you know why Rotary is so big on their motto, "Service Above Self."

When you rise above your own small concerns to put your heart and soul into a project to help others, you benefit every bit as much as they do!

Glad to hear it's going well for you once more.