Thursday, August 28, 2008

My First Day, Saturday August 23

My first day was pretty crazy. Once I woke up from my slumber I ate a breakfast of milk and bread. It was really tasty, in Ecuador there are many different kinds of bread. My mami was at work and so it was papi, me and my brother and sister. After breakfast I left for la mitad del mundo, the middle of the world, it is really touristy but my family wanted me to go.
My brother and I left the house for la mitad del mundo, we caught a bus into the center of Quito, there we caught another bus to la mitad, during our bus ride Bryan, my brother, kept on saying to me that this part of the city is dangerous or that part is. Essentially many parts of the city are dangerous in the day and night for someone alone. Luckly, I live in the far south in San Rafael. It is in another sub valley to the giant valley that Quito occupies. On our way to la mitad we hopped off the bus and walked to the house of my new aunt, the sister of my father. There we met up with my new cousins, Diego, Jonathan and Andrea. Jonathan is 20... or 19, I cant really remember. Well anyways we drove to an ice cream store were we bought helados de pailas. they are different than the ice cream that can be bought in the U.S. I think that there isnt any milk, but it is actually a secret so my family didnt know.
We drove to the monument on the equator, but it is actually off by 240 meters. It was raining and hailing so there were not many tourists. For me the best part was that when we went to the museum my brother said that there were four nationals, instead of one tourist. The museum was really interesting I kept my family waiting while I read all of the noted on the different cultures in Ecuador.
After la mitad del mundo we went to some inca ruins close to the monument. On our way there a man ran out in front of the car and was lucky not to have been hurt. He jumped and slid off the hood, he didnt seem to be hurt so we drove off. Essentailly, in Ecuador you dont need rollercoasters. The rules of the road are just guide lines. Crossing the streets here is crazy. I always run becuase I dont trust the drivers but the Ecuadorians just walk calmly across with the cars inches behind them.
The ruins werent that impressive but the location was very beautiful. After a long day my brother and I headed home.

I just want to say that the keyboard is different here so I still dont know were all the punctuation is, I believe that everyone can understand what Im trying to say so all is good. I am falling behind in my writing so I think that Im going to switch to focusing on my fellings and the important points about the culture rather than a day by day diary.

No comments: