Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Finca

So, After Adam and I ate our second breakfast at my house, Adam, my sister, mom, dad and I got into the car to drive to the Farm of my grandparents. I spent the time jamming to my ipod as the terrain rolled by. At one point Adam pointed out a cave in a cliff alongside the road. I quickly asked my parents if we could stop, I had actually pointed out the cave on my earlier trip and was excited to have a buddy to explore the cave. Adam and I scrambled up the incline and peered into the cave. The first thing that we noticed was that there was a giant pile of debri which had fallen from the ceiling not to long ago. The rock really was some type of crumbly whitish rock. At one point it was a mine for the rock, I asked my dad and he told me that the type of rock is used in construction, concrete I think. Adam said that he needed his camera because it was way too cool, he ran back and grabbed his camera. When he got back he told me that he felt like Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn, when they enter the cave. We scrambled around and found two more entrances. It was really cool inside, other tunnels would end abruptly and the floor was soft with the ground rock. The cave was also completely white. The rest of the trip was uneventful except for when my sister asked if she could practicing driving on a stretch of road that was straight and smooth. I quickly responded that if my sister drove than I would need to also. My mom has told me that I am exactly the same as my sisters which is really cool, it has lead to an amazing relationship with my family. But it was bad for my sister this time, because my parents won the battle with the logic that I can't drive so neither can she...( wow, I never knew I could be so mean!). When we got to the farm we were greated by my dads family. My Grandparents and my Aunt live there. My aunt had Polio when she was younger and lost her voice. I assume that there were never services for people with disabilaties, and thus she has always lived with my grandparents. She is nice, but I definatly feel that she is seperate on some levels from the family, she can understand and listen but never contribute fully. We were served chicken and yuca soup for lunch, which was quite tasty, I entertained my family throughout the meal because I had some really wierd things in my soup and everyone was laughing at my reactions. But I ate it all without problems, it is just really funny when stuff is floating in your soup that you have absolutely no clue what the heck it is. After lunch, my sister, Adam and I went to hike up to where my families llamingos are kept... thats right llamingos. Ok so I'll break it down, double L is "y" and some how these llamas are llamingos. They look excactly the same but somehow there is a difference. This was ridiculously funny for Adam and I... some thing about hearing llamingos just cracks me up. Anyways, so we first tried to get the cows, which were on a lower pasture, to attack us. But the bulls would just walk away looking mildly disgusted. So Adam and I took off our shirts and tried once more... but nothing. My sister was sitting at the bottom of the pasture, but when we returned she wasn't there. We thought that she had left and continued up the hill. After avoiding cow poop we reached the top, and there was my sister sitting waiting for us, it was definitly a suprise. So Adam and I really wanted a llamingo to spit at us. It is just a thing that I have to do before I return. So Adam and I walked down to where the llamingos were grazing contently and tried to get them to spit at us. Ok, so most of the people reading this are probably wondering, what the heck. But llamas are a lot scarier up close... seriously. When a llama looks directly at you it is like being stared down by a cross between a bat and a rabbit. It is really scary, so anyways, they would run away and then we would chase after them. We started to heard them towards my sister. She was sitting at the top of the pasture, it was raining at this point and she was protecting the camera. When we got close the llamingos bolted back down to the bottom of the pasture. They thought that we were beat but we decided to try a different tactic. I started dancing and singing, but the only response that I got was the WTF? look of a llamingo. We had one final idea, the last charge. Adam and I went sprinting down the pasture and the llamingos just ran faster. Finally we were beat, so we headed back to the farm. When we got back there was dough ready to make empanadas! Adam and I were completely soaked, my mom was a little disconcerted because we were really wet. We just took our shoes off and continued as normal, but my mom wasn't pleased. We washed our hands and started helping putting the cheese inside the empanada and making the forms. My mom was amazed at my cooking knowledge... which is nothing as my mom can attest to. Anyways I am assuming that the average male here doesn't know how to turn on a stove. But my dad here isn't this way he definatly can cook. Adam quickly was making empanadas almost perfectly at the same time as mine barely held together. We decided to create a team... Gringo! I rolled the dough and put the right amount of cheese in it and Adam did the decorative part of folding and pinching it closed. We were producing very pretty empanadas. The building that we were in was a mud building. It is thatched and the walls are mud. The oven that we were using was really simple. There is a fire in the middle, a grill on top for the stove, and below it the oven. There wasn't a place for the smoke to go so it filled up the room and slowly filtered out the side of the thatch. The empanadas were really tasty! They burnt my hands and mouth at first but after the pain... yum! Adam and I ate and ate! They were really good, we had extra dough so we started making dough creations, I made a turtle, snake, manatee, and a shark. But really they all looked about like a blob of dough! Adam and I spent the rest of the day chasing the chickens and turkeys! Adam and I had a rock, paper, scissors battle for who would get to sleep in the hammock outside. I won and had a peaceful night (if not a little cold) swaying to the breaze. I woke up early to help with the milking of the cows. My grandmother, with the help of an employee of the farm milked four cows. I drank some of the milk from three of them, it was really, really good! I was actually peed on by a cow... that was a pleasant awakening! It only got my feet... After the cow milking I bothered the chickens some as I waited for breakfast and for Adam to wake up. Breakfast was more milk and empanadas. After breakfast Adam, my dad, sister, grandfather and I went to buy groceries in the town nearest to the farm. I got to see my dads old school and as we drove around my dad talked with people he hadn't seen in years. We also went to the old house of my dads where we found a... ok I hope everyone reads this but I wil continue later I am dead tired, today I had Capoiera and my first dance class. I just want to sleep! Buenas Noches, Descansa todos!

1 comment:

Ben Small said...

Boa noite, that sounds sweet.