Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Obama...

I had kept my nose out of the USA's political situation really well. I decided that I didn't want to be a part of something that was so far away. I essentailly forgot about it. It was the day before the elections when I was talking with my dad that I learned that the elections were going to be held the next day. It was the first time that I treally started to think about what was happening in the US. I have to say that after seeing eight years of Bush in office and AP US History I had a pretty pessimistic view of the worlds politics. It seemed as if the world really wasn't going to change its situation soon. But Obama won! My sister told me the next morning and I was kinda like cool!... whatever. It wasn't until this last sunday as I was watching the morning news that I realized what had happened in the US. There is a black man in the White House... I will repeat... White House. Our nation was built using the labor of slaves... after their emancipation there was Segregation... With Martin Luther King Segregation fell, but racism has and is a real part of the US today. Finally the tables have been turned. There is a black man in office, not just any man, he is charismatic and vocal. He has a mandate for change by the people of the US and he has the house and senate on his side. As I watched the news I actually was crying, I didn't know how to express my emotions. The people here are happy but it really isn't a big deal to them. I feel as if with this election the world is beginning to change. The conciousness of our planet is rising, this change will begin to spread. For good or bad the influence of the US is global. This mandate for change has touched billions of peopple. We are on a path for a better world. I am honestly beginning to feel optimistic about the situation... I just hope that my feelings are true and that my hope is safe in the hands of one man!

1 comment:

Madelion Moondrop said...

I felt that this day too. Fun to know what you were thinking about on my birthday so many years ago <3