Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Capoiera

So as you may know I used to practice Aikido all the time in Ashland. Right now I have found a new art. It has become my new practice or obsesion. It is my way to express myself in movement and also what I have been thinking of when I'm horribly bored in my classes. Essentially I've really taken this new martial art, capioera, to a whole new level for me. I guess that when I get into something I really get into it. For example, today was one month of classes, tommorrow I have a seminar with some big head honchos from Brazil, tommorrow and the next day I'll be practicing Capoiera after school. Then on saturday all the capioera people in Quito have a show, and I'm in it. I'll be doing some cartweels, high kicks and an arial type thingy. I really hope I don't mess up. There will be tons of people watching I believe... about half the time I land on my head... so... we will see. I spent $80 bucks for this thing in Capoiera. I will be recieving my uniform from my teacher here, my rope( which is the same as a belt in other martial arts), a shirt from the event and two days of lessons. $80 bucks is more than I've spent in Ecuador in a month but whatever, if I'm going to do something, I'm really gonna do it. I also have two blisters on my feet from practicing on hard wood floors. But my dad and I prepared a first aid kit before I left, and I have moleskin! I'll let everyone know how this thing goes for me, it should be really fun!

2 comments:

Ben Small said...

That sounds soo siick man. You´ll have to show me your moves and maybe teach me them. Thats good your staying in shape, I´m not exactly getting all the excercise i´m used to but haven´t put on any(ok, much) flab so thats good. yeah the whole thing with the pictures on my blog took like more than two hours, with upload time and figuring out which ones to use etc. etc. etc. School sounds like a trip, same here with the lessons and all except not as patriotic. I also have filosofia, i actually really dig it. Sounds like some pretty cool cats youre chillin with. You could join swim team or something. youd own with your giant elevation lung power. Well, tem cuidado. ate ja.

Anonymous said...

Alex, I love reading about your life in Ecuador. Sounds like you are having a great experience. I miss seeing you in Ashland. I'm very grateful you decided not to jump into the ring with the bull.

Love, Sari