Saturday, October 25, 2008

Weekends... jeje

So I really haven't written anything about my wekends and I am really far behind so I'm going to wing it and write a little about all of them.
So my first weeekend of school I went to the farm of my dads parents. It was super cool, I loved being in nature! Everyone in my family is super cool but the thing most amazing is that my grandfather is 91 years old and he walks, works and moves like he is in his 60's. It is really inspirational.. I hope that if I make it to 91 that my life will be as healthy. All the kids went looking for insects, there really are some weird ones in Ecuador. The farm has cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys, guiney pigs and about every type of plant that you can think of. I loved it, I explored the area with my dad, this was the place that he grew up.
The next weekend I went to QuitoFest to see Sudakaya an Ecuadorian Reggae group. But I never saw them cause they came on late and everyone was getting drunk so my sister and I left. But I saw Gondwana, another Reggae group wich was good, and a Capoiera demonstration which was really cool.
My next weekend my family went to Otavalo, which is famous for the hand made goods that can be bought in the markets. The trip was cool becuase I met more of my family and got to walk around a market with handmade stuff that is really cheap. I bought a sweater for 12 dollars. It is an alpaca wool hoodie. It is really hard to believe just how cheap things are. Work here is worth very little, people are working all day to produce rugs, sweaters, hats, hammocks, wall hangings and jewelry. And everything is way... way cheaper. I actually feel bad when I haggle with people but it is just a part of life here.

No comments: