Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Hmm

This is the second time that i have seen these kinds of things... Today I was walking down a main street in Quito with my sister when I watched a man steal a cellphone from a girl from another school. She was walking with a friend and texting when the man walked in between her and her friend and snatched the phone. He cooly pocketed the phone, crossed the street and started running. This was really hard for me to see because I almost went running after the guy... but I was wearing my dress shoes and was with my sister, who I wasnt't going to ditch to chase after a theif. The people on the street just continued on as if nothing had happened. The girls ran past me deciding to chase him about 20 seconds later. This is just the thing here, shit happens... it is just a part of life. Another night I was in my car guarding it while my mom and sister where in a store. I watched a police truck drive up to a woman street vender, one policeman jumped out and attacked her. He grabbed her basket of chips, gum and candy and scattered it in the street. Hr jumped back in the truck and they drove away. I watched as she gathered up the candy, others helped her but there was no reason for this attack.It was unprovoked and by a policeman! Ecuador is very different. I know of three exchange students who have had some crazy incedents. The first was a girl from Switzerland, her and her family were robbed at gunpoint as they left there house. The other two were Germans. One watched as a woman and baby were attacked. Three guys kicked and pounded on the car as she was screaming inside, the police were called... and 20 minutes later they arrived. Another guy was robbed of a watch, cellphone and eight dollars in a street. He was walking ewhen two guys cornered him. I also have had a close encounter. I was walking down the street when a man approched me, I saw that he was looking at me kinda funny so when he got close and tried to stop me I speed walked passed him and caught up with some other people who were walking in the same street. This is just the reality of living in Quito, it is a big city with some crime. If you read this and are scared or worried (Mom!) please don't be. I am writing this for a greater understanding of the place that I live in. All that is necessary is caution and to pay atention. It is definatly a possibility that these kinds of things could happen again in the future. I hope not, but as they say here ¡Pilas!

2 comments:

Bryan said...

I said you that...
did yor remember....
Ecuador is dangeraus...you have to be carefully...

Anonymous said...

Alex, please know we think about you all the time... and wish you well. I'm sure most can relate to the mixture of joy and sorrow in life. That's why we really need to embrace each day and each other. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.