Monday, October 6, 2008

Cultural Awareness

Ok So I really don't have time to be doing this but I really want to be writing in my blog, the thing is is that life in the city is just not the same as little Ashland. I'm always on the move... and right now I have about 60 problems to do in math... I have a test on Wendesday and if all goes well I'll fail... not too horribly.
I have fond that one of the things I have learned is cultural conciousness. Everything is different, and thus when I walk down the street or talk to people, I'm always on the alert and watching other people. Culturally Ecuador is very different there are many things that I learned through trial and error from the start. One thing is the realationship between women and men. Men always give way to the women, one example of this is the busses. The bus drivers will stop for the women but only slow for the men. Also, at a bus stop all the women will board and the men will get on second. But with the last woman on board the bus will start moving. It is all really fun, jumping on a bus while it is moving... So anyways the thing is is that there is a type of sensitivity needed to pass smoothly and quietly through another society. I can't say that it is perfect, but for sure I am picking it up. With this new knowledge based on the expirience, I really will feel more comfortable when I travel in the future. This is the first step towards a global consciousness, a sensitivity of the the people, culture and environment that we are in. Because an American doing amirican things really wouldn't fit in at all.

1 comment:

Bryan said...

Bienvenido a Ecuador
jajajajaja no tienes idea como me he reido....
la verdad es que ya no me acordaba que las cosas son asi...
aca tienes razon ya me acostumbre a otras cosas.....
esta muy divertido pa mi