Sunday, September 28, 2008

My First Three Weeks of School

Well I've survived my first three weeks, right now I kinda should be doing my homework but I'm kinda lazy and felt like writing in my blog. In Ecuador all the kids are in the same class and the teachers change classes. It means that the teachers have the majority of the material in their heads. I like everyone in my class. There is also another exchange student who is really cool, he is from Massachusetts. I am experty seated exactly opposite, and as far away from the teachers desk and the front of the room. The kids here are very studious, my program is for the elite of the elite. All the kids are very intelligent and get very good grades. I like my teachers, my biology teacher is really nice, he told me that if I ever had problems that I can always talk with him. I have a few good friends, Polo, Paul, Alejandro, and Abi. They have always been helpful and are the people other than my sister that I spend time with. Polo, is a little bit crazy and nerdy so we get along great. He is really smart but never pays any atention in class. He sleeps through about a third of the classes in the day. Also he is very daring, he will joke with the teachers and make fun of the inspectors. Paul is nice, active guy who seems to have opinions about everything. Alejandro is really funny to pass time with because all the time girls come up to him and want to talk and say hi. He is essentially a ladies man, but only in the good ways. He is quiet, intelligent and kind. Abi is my sisters best friend, she is really nice, she will always explain things for me and really has helped me a ton. Everyone in my classes are really nice and helpful, as a whole. All is well, I am grateful that I have my sister in my class, otherwise homework would be much harder. My comprehension is improving each day also. My school is very crazy in my opinion. For example, all of the kids need to stand in a line acording to class and listen to the general inspecter speak, at the same time the inspectors patrol the rows and get kids for bad behavior or errors in the uniform. Everyone sings the national anthem and the school song. The best students kiss the flag... it is really different. The school band is handheld xilophones and drums, it is really bad sounding in my opinion, the suits that they wear are worse. But they all march and they seem to know what there doing. One day they played badly and so all the kids had to run a lap around the track. The stragglers who were the youngest kids had to squat down and jump up and down. It was kinda pitiful, I'm really glad I'm not in the band. But everything is good, I can tie a tie and stand up when the teachers enter the room... no detentions yet. In reality I don't think my school has any punishment, everyone pretty much obeys.

No comments: