Friday, September 12, 2008

School... Um.... Is Swell? Part 1

Ok, so for now I have given up writing my expiriences in order, hopefully I'll get to all of my other things, trust me when I say life is a blur here.
My first week of school was horribly challenging. I just want to say that when I signed up for foreign exchange it was for a cultural expirience, not acedemic. But I deffinatly recieved an acedemic challenge. My high school is the best in Ecuador and one of the best in South America. It is really hard, My school begins at 7:00 and ends at 3:30 every day. In the past year at Ashland High I took a 4th period out because I couldn't stand being in school for that long. Note: When Alexa learned that she would have to be going to school on Saturday I joked and said that Ecuador would be better. Well the irony is that she doesn't have to go to school on Saturday and I do... from 8:30 until 10:30. Pretty Swell!
I guess that my feelings about all this are, whatever, everything is awesome. I didn't want an acedemic challenge but I sure as heck got one. I'll take this opportunity to learn as much as I can!
I am in some international program that is all around the world, the problem is that I can't pronounce it and thus when I tried to write it a few seconds ago it wasn't really a word. Essentially my program is really difficult. The good news is that I am in all the same classes exept for one with my sister Johanna. So here is a list of my classes:

1. Historia- World History but I haven't had it yet.
2.Biologia- Biology, I like the teacher and in the first class there was a dead monkey in a plastic bag... I was kinda weirded out.
3. Sistemas Ambientales- Natural Systems? I think but right now we are learning about cells. The only class I don't have with my sister, it is really small too, 5 peaple and 2 are exchange students.
4. Economia- Economics, it is microeconomics, the teacher seems pretty cool, he joked with the class and included everyone.
5. CAS- Community Service, I need 150 hours of community service and some how this is a class, but I haven't had it.
6. Matimaticas- Math, deffinatly difficult since I hate math. But right now I at least kind of understand the material.
7. Ingles- English, it is a very high level and I have actually gotten quite a few questions wrong. The teacher isn't the best, his english is basic and he doesn't seem to know what he is doing parts of the time.
8. TOK- Philosophy, my first homework was in this class, I had to write ¿Que es Conocimiento? What is knowledge, I copied Wikipedia... hey, when you can't even understand what your writing copying from Wikipedia is allowed.
9. Lenguaje- Literally language, but Spanish, everyone else has to read a novel but the teacher said that me and Adam, the other exchange student, can start with kids stories... Thank you! Otherwise I would have died, I also like the teacher. To be totally honest she kinda reminds me of Jan Christensen. Who is pretty wild.
10. Psicologia- Phsycology, it is a really small class and I'm interested in the subject. I think 7 students.
11. Monografia- A project... I don't really know anything else.
12. Sociologia- Sociology, another small class. I am intersted it it too so it all works out, I think 6 students.
13. Recreation- P.E.
14. My class on saturday, I believe another project...

Some classes are for longer periods of time than others, I am still trying to figure it all out...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi alex its chris. u better be amazing at soccer when u come back. if u c fausto say hi to him for me. i love u bro best wishes from all of us. peace

chris

Hi Alex,

Christopher and I went to see the documentary, "Man on Wire" tonight. It is about a French guy who walked on a wire between the Twin Towers in NY in the '70s. It is also about someone who has a dream and goes for it. Kinda like you.

Love,

Dad

Ian said...

Ahahaha, they actually make you DO stuff at school? Man that sucks...Sounds like your biology class might be pretty cool though. All of our classes consist of sitting in our desks and either taking notes or answering questions in the workbooks, which I have but they don't expect me to use.