Tuesday, September 2, 2008

My first Week Part 2

The second part of my week was more of the same. Lots of crazy adventures that I didn't know I was doing. I have only been able to say yes or no, and it is much simpler too say yes so... Inviarably I have been dragged along on many excursions. Shopping mostly, in the city it is very different. When we go to do errands it takes all day and on top of that sometimes nothing much gets done. The Ecuadorian style is slow, but the city is very fast. I'm not quite sure how those to go together but the result is lots of plans and very little done. It is frustrating for me because I am used to hopping on my bike and doing only exactly what I want or need to get done. Here it is different because it takes an hour or so by bus to get where your going and then you have to find the places, and come back home.
During the week my sister wanted to rock climb with me, there is a really cool outdoor place in the center of Quito. We went there but it was really expensive so we left, later we met up with my brother and his girlfriend. We wen't to a market where we bought a Shigra, a bag made out of agave fibers, for me. It is really cool it is green with a llama on the front. Later we met up with some of my sisters friends and walked around the city center. At one point my bro and his girlfriend left to go and get tourist info for his exchange in Germany. My sister asked if I wanted to go to la casa de horrer. But I didn't really understand what she was saying so I said yes. I just kept on hearing la casa so went along without a word soon enough we arrived at the scariest haunted house ever, nothing was held back at this place. Just standing outside of it scared the shit out of me. For whatever reason it got me thinking about everything that I left behind in Ashland. After I we had left I just felt really really sad. I cried but it was great to have my sister there.She told me that when I was sad it made her sad to and that she just wanted me to be happy. It was really interesting because at the same time I felt like doing nothing,but just falling asleep. but she asked if I wanted to go slacklining. I said yes because I knew I needed to do something. So when we got home we walked to a local park, on the way we met up with one of my sisters friends and walked to the park. It was a beautiful park. It has a green lawn shaded by tons of Eucalyptus trees, sadly they are all over. I would imagine that they aren't native here either, and they dominate the landscape around Quito. But in any event the park was very beautiful, I set up dthe slackline and I began trying to teach them how to slackline in Spanish. It went amazingly well, they both learned quickly and by the end were able to balance for some time. The best part for me was that there was a posse of kids in the park. I asked them iff they would like to try and slackline and they said they didn't which was too bad. Finally we coaxed a kid to try it out and he thought we were pretty crazy cause it was so hard.
Later, I was getting tired of slacklining so I took one of the kids bikes, they all had bikes, and started riding it around the park, they all started chasing after me and it went on for a few minutes until I bailed the bike. Soon after I took anothr kids bike and rode it around. They all started chasing me again, I bailed the bike and they kept on chasing me. So I started running from them, they picked up sticks which was slightly scary but still fun. I ran away on all fours and was rolling and jumping through the trees. One kid in specific was really keen on playing with me, when I circled around to try and get another bike he stopped me and tryed to tackle me, I picked him up and tickled him as he yelled for help from the other kids, I started running around with him in my arms and about five kids with sticks chasing me. The whole hullabalo went on for about twenty minutes, it was really fun for them and me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds really great. I'm looking forward to reading these as the year goes on. If you need to know anything about being Catholic while you're down there, let me know and I could answer q's or give advice.

Anonymous said...

Dear Alex,

Quite simply, YOU ROCK!

I love the image of you in a coat and tie at school!

I hope that you loosened your tie before running around the park with the kids!

Keep up the infectious good attitude!

Warmest wishes,

Emile

Anonymous said...

Alex!
it sounds like you are having an amazing time. Can't wait to hear more, i'm sure your experience will only get better.
-Emily (and the rest of the fam)

Anonymous said...

Alex,

I love reading of your adventures in Ecuador. Sounds like an amazing experience for you. Ailee and Noah are also keeping up with your blog.

We all love you,

Shekinah and family
P.S. I'm going by my given name now-Sari

Ben Small said...

DUDE!!! CRAZY!!!! Man this is the weirdest experience of my life, but I love it. Hey, we should talk via email or something online soon, swap ideas etc. Also my little blip dealy on your blog says i last posted something four weeks ago, but thats not true! anyways peace love, the works!

Anonymous said...

I love how even in a total different culture you stay true to yourself and still do exactly what you love to do.

i miss you. keep romping.

-Rayna